Saturday, December 4, 2010

On the third day of Christmas

Well, our day started out with fun at a park in La Jolla with some friends. Ty was having a wonderful time riding someone's tricycle, playing in the sand and swinging in the swings. We all had lunch and when it was time to go back out to play, Ty got fussy. I thought he was getting tired but nothing I did helped calm the fussiness. It escalated to crying and finally I had to round up our stuff and say it was time to go home. On the drive home the crying turned into agonizing screaming, and I could tell on his face he was in pain. Wow, I've never had to hear my baby scream like that before and I lost it. After calling Garrett and having him tell me to take him home and strip him (to see if he had a splinter or a bee sting) I drove past my house in hysteria and went straight to ER. Garrett was sweet enough to drop everything he was doing and run to meet us there. The screaming continued (heart wrenching by the way) and when we finally got into a room and Garrett took Ty's shoes and socks off, the screaming stopped...

Apparently his left big toe was scrunched up in his shoe wrong and causing him immense pain. This picture is about two hours after we took the shoe off, initially it was huge and red and they thought he'd broke it or it was a skin infection. Well, after xrays and no break, they sent us home with a prescription for skin infection medicine (which we're all too familiar with) and a suggestion that he doesn't wear those shoes anymore. This was definitely an I told you so moment for Garrett since had I just taken Ty home and stripped him like instructed, all would have probably been fine. But why is it that my child, who's obsessed with shoes and takes them off regularly, wouldn't take his shoe off when it hurt?! Just cost me a couple hundred to learn that lesson. :) I do have to say I'm very thankful it wasn't something serious and my baby is ok. Wow, no mother should have to hear that screaming, ever.

So on to something more merry. Our Christmas craft tonight was making an angel. We got out our Christmas bow bag and our Christmas wrapping scraps and started cutting. Even Ty got involved unrolling the ribbon for us. He felt much better after a long nap and some dinner but you can kind of see he still has a big red toe.


Tatum loves to cut and she's perfecting her abilities. We only had one cut hand. :)

And ta da! Our well dressed angel. With ribbon hair and a bow.

Tatum had made the angel on the right in her MOPs class a few days before. What beautiful angels we have looking over us this holiday season. :)

No comments: